St.Gregorios Orthodox Cathedral

#18, Hosur Road, Richmond town, Bangalore-560025.
080 22211301,22248201,
View in Google Map

75 Glorious Years of Worship and Blessings ( 1943-2018).The Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church was established in Kerala by St. Thomas, the Apostle of Jesus Christ in AD 52. The members of this Orthodox Syrian Church remained by and large in Kerala for centuries except for a few who ventured out to various parts of the...

75 Glorious Years of Worship and Blessings ( 1943-2018).The Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church was established in Kerala by St. Thomas, the Apostle of Jesus Christ in AD 52. The members of this Orthodox Syrian Church remained by and large in Kerala for centuries except for a few who ventured out to various parts of the country and even abroad. However, from the middle of the 19th century to the middle of the 20th century.(1850-1950) greater numbers migrated out of Kerala looking for avenues of livelihood. Bangalore, being a city of opportunities and situated not too far from Kerala was a favored destination. Not much is known of what these migrants did for their Orthodox worship during those early years in Bangalore. The earliest available record of their attempts at meeting as a congregation for worship is during 1937-39 when many Malayali Christians of various denominations got together at the United Theological College Chapel. Services which were exclusively Orthodox began in1943. It is a landmark year for all the Orthodox Christians of Bangalore. They are indebted to Rev.Fr. M. P. Mathews, Modisseril for starting the Orthodox worship Services that year. He conducted Services at the St. Paul’s Church, Shivajinagar once a month till the end of 1944. After Rev. Fr. Mathews left, the Services became irregular. Worship services were conducted by priests who came to Bangalore from other places. They conducted services at the St. Mark’s Cathedral. One such itinerant priest was Rev. Fr. T. G. Koshy who used to travel from Madras.

He conducted Holy Qurbana at the Holy Trinity Church on 12th October 1947 and that marked the beginning of a long association of the Orthodox Christians with the Holy Trinity Church. The Church which formerly belonged to the British, at that time was under the control of the Indian Government. The Government transferred the church to the Church of South India in 1948.Nevertheless, the Orthodox Services at the Holy Trinity Church continued, albeit, intermittently till about mid-1950. The CSI congregation conducted their services early morning on Sundays and

the Orthodox members had their worship later in the morning.The intense desire of the people of the Orthodox community for a regular worship and the services of a permanent vicar was fulfilled when Rev. Fr. V. C. Samuel was appointed as the first vicar by a Kalpana dated 18, May 1950 from H.G. Alexios Mar Theodosius the then Metropolitan of Quilon and in-charge of churches outside Kerala. The Orthodox community owes a lot to Rev.

Fr. V. C. Samuel. The basic structure of our Parish as we see today was initiated by Rev. Fr.Samuel. He divided the parish into Wards, started Prayer Meetings, Bible classes, augmented the worship with a Choir and improved the finances through the collection of subscription. After ensuring the formation of an organized Parish, Rev. Fr. V. C. Samuel left to the USA for higher studies in April 1953.Then came a period of consolidation and the Orthodox Community grew from strength to strength led by Priests and leaders of true faith, dedication, and vision. In 1954, Sunday School classes were initiated in the Church under the guidance of Rev. Fr. Geevarghese Thykadavil. In the same year, the Kunnamkulam Group (later named City Ward) with the encouragement of Rev. Fr. Thykadavil began engaging regular Sunday School classes at the residences of their members and later at the United Mission School. The City Ward Sunday School merged with the mainstream Sunday School of the Church in the year 1981.

Regular Services under a succession of dedicated Priests continued at the Holy Trinity Church.In June 1964, the Patriarch of Antioch, H. H. Ignatius Yacoob III and in December 1964, the Catholicos of the East, H. H. Moran Mar Baselios Augen I visited Bangalore and blessed the Orthodox community which by now had become a sizeable population. With the burgeoning numbers, came the realization that more Churches had to be built. The members who lived in the vicinity of Jalahalli built their own Church in December 1966. In the year 1968, the dynamic Vicar of the Church Rev. P. V. Abraham and a very active Committee bought the piece of land at Richmond Town, Hosur Road where our Cathedral is presently located and started the building work. During the tenure of the next Vicar, Rev. P. M. Thomas the Church building was completed.

The Church was consecrated by H.G. Mathews Mar Athanasios, the then Catholicos Elect and later the Catholicos H.H. Baselios Mar Thoma Mathews I. The Church was named after St.Gregorios Orthodox Church and the consecration was on 6th August 1972, the day of the Feast transfiguration. Majority of the members who worshipped at the Holy Trinity church, now Churches in the Parish necessitated the presence of a Vicar and an Assistant vicar. This arrangement continued till 1 st January 1979 when the members worshipping at the Holy Trinity Church were declared to belong to the independent Parish – St. George’s Parish by a Kalpana from the Diocesan Metropolitan H.G. Zachariah Mar Dionysius.

In the year 1993 the Golden Jubilee of the Church was celebrated under the leadership of the Vicar Rev.Fr. Abraham Marett. On 15 th May 1994 the Jubilee celebrations culminated in a grand Get-Together and Public Function adorned by The Catholicos H.H. Baselios Mar Thoma Mathews II, H.G. Zachariah Mar Dionysius, the Diocesan Metropolitan, H.G. Alphonse Mathias, the Archbishop of Bangalore, Dr. P C Alexander, the Governor of Maharashtra, Shri. Veerappa Moily, the Chief Minister of Karnataka and Shri. Oommen Chandy, Finance Minister of Kerala.During the Function a Commemorative Volume titled – ‘ 50 Golden Years ’ was released. On 18 th October 1994 the Church was elevated as Cathedral by a Kalpana from the Catholicos H.H. Baselios Mar Thoma Mathews II.

Looking back over the years the Cathedral can gratefully count its abundant blessings. It took the first baby steps under the Bahya Kerala Bhadrasanam and from 1976 grew under the Madras Diocese shepherded by the H.G. Zachariah Mar Dionysius and H.G. Yacoob Mar Iraneos.On 27 th January, 2007 The Catholicos H.H Baselios Mar Thoma Didymos I visited the Parish.

There was a Public Reception in honour of His Holiness. Justice Cyriac Joseph spoke on the occasion and Dr. T. K Alex, a renowned Scientist from ISRO and a former member of the Parish was felicitated by the Holy Father on being bestowed the Padmashree.On 1 st April 2009 the Bangalore Diocese came into existence. H. G. Abraham Mar Epiphanios, the Metropolitan of Sultan Batheri was in charge of the newly formed Bangalore Diocese for little over a year. On 15 th August 2010, H.G. Abraham Mar Seraphim took over as the Metropolitan of the Bangalore Diocese. The Cathedral was blessed by the visit of the Catholicos H.H. Baselios Mar Thoma Paulose II on 27 th March 2011. On that day His Holiness celebrated the Holy Qurbana and also conducted the Sunthroniso (Enthronement) of H.G. Abraham Mar Seraphim as the Metropolitan of Bangalore Diocese. With Bangalore becoming a Diocese and with a metropolitan based here and available for guidance the Cathedral hopes to develop into an exemplary institution of Worship, Mission and Charity.

Over the years the ‘Mother church’- St. Gregorios Orthodox Cathedral being located in the heart of the City has fast expanded into a big vibrant worshipping community. Space constraints in the Church and the spread of the members in the far off suburbs in the city led to the creation of new Parishes. So far, the Cathedral has facilitated the formation of 7 new parishes in the city of Bangalore. The Cathedral also takes pride in the fact that it has not lost its Missionary focus. It has a vibrant Sunday School, an enthusiastic Youth League, and an active Women’s Wing – The St. Mary’s League doing philanthropic work. It runs an English medium school, builds houses for the poor and helps the needy through its Benevolent Fund. Yet it is acutely aware that it needs to do much more work of Mission and charity. It is the Grace of our God Almighty, the intercession of the saints, the prayers, guidance, love and sacrifice of the Bishops, Priests and lay leaders and the worshipping community that has made the Cathedral what it is today.

The milestones achieved during the past 75 years is cherished by the Orthodox Community in Bangalore. To mark the occasion, we have comprehensive plan to celebrate the year 2018 as the ‘PLATINUM JUBILEE ‘ Year. Apart from naming the building complex under construction as ‘PLATINUM JUBILEE BUILDING’, the church General Body has approved constructing a house for an eligible member during the Platinum Jubilee year.

Read More
Vicar

Rev. Fr. Koshy Thomas

#18, Hosur Road, Richmond Town, Bengaluru - 560025.
080-22248201
9494234564

Asst. Vicar

Rev. Fr. Jacob Thomas

St. Gregorios orthodox Cathedral, #18, Richmond Town, Hosur Road, Bangalore -560025
080 22240001
9448538301/9949164500
jacobthomas766@gmail.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Mr. Varghese Jacob

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. Raju Thomas

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. Thomas David
  2. Geevar Varghese
  3. Peter K.M.
  4. Sunil George
  5. Simon K.K.
  6. Sunil Jacob Chacko
  7. Reny Philip.
  8. Varghese V.T.
  9. Chandy Abraham
  10. Rennie Jacob
  11. Joshua A. J.
  12. Thomas John K.
  13. Biju K. Raju
   

St.Thomas Orthodox Maha Edavakka, Bangalore East

#51, Madras Sappers Officers Colony, Banasawadi Main Road, Bangalore-560033
080 25471147

Vicar

Rev. Fr. K. M. Jacob

No. 51, Maruthi Seva Nagar P.O. Banaswadi Main Road, Bengaluru - 560 033.
080 2547 1147
99165 94380
frjacobkm14@yahoo.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Mr. MathewKutty Koodarathil

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. George Mathew Vadakkethalakkal

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. Shimon Peter
  2. Oommen I. K.
  3. Thomas Mammen
  4. Susan Jose
  5. Thomas . K.C.
  6. Lalitha Oommen
  7. John A. George
  8. Mathews Abraham
  9. Mathew C. O.
  10. Viju C. Varghese

St.Gregorios Orthodox Church Tumkur

Devaraj Urs Road, Opp SSIT, Tumkur- 572105
0816 2201158

  St GREGORIOS ORTHODOX CHURCH TUMKUR ——OVER THE YEARS 70 km from Bangalore on Pune Bombay highway is situated a small developing city called Tumkur where few orthodox members resided. It was in 1989 the Orthodox Service started in Tumkur. The first Holy Qurbana was celebrated in CSI Church by Rev Fr Abraham Marett   (Very....

 

St GREGORIOS ORTHODOX CHURCH TUMKUR ——OVER THE YEARS

70 km from Bangalore on Pune Bombay highway is situated a small developing city called Tumkur where few orthodox members resided. It was in 1989 the Orthodox Service started in Tumkur. The first Holy Qurbana was celebrated in CSI Church by Rev Fr Abraham Marett   (Very. Rev. Abraham Marett Cor-Episcopa) then Vicar of St Thomas Church Bangalore East. Later Holy Qurbana was offered by Rev Fr Abraham Marett only during public holidays in CSI Boys Home Hall.

Only In 1991 When Rev John C Varghese (H.G. Dr. Yuhanon Mar Chrisostomos Metropolitan) came to Bangalore for his studies, regular Sunday Worship started.

In 1992 one of the members Mr. A I Kurian donated his plot of land for church building, adjacent plot of land was purchased by members for the same and on 26th June 1993   foundation stone was laid in the name of St. Gregorios of Parumala by HG Zachariah Mar Dionysius the Metropolitan of Madras Diocese and Rev Fr Abraham Marett was declared as the Vicar on 1st January 1994 with only seven families as members. By the grace of God, under the able leadership of Rev  Fr Abraham Marett and by the untiring efforts of members and support from sister churches, the church was consecrated and dedicated by H G Thomas Mar Timotheus the  Metropolitan of Malabar  Diocese on 7th May 1995. On 1st Nov 1996 foundation stone was laid for constructing a parsonage which was dedicated on 1st Nov 1997 by HG Zachariah Mar Dionysius

On 1st Nov 1999 construction of a Shrine in the name of St Mary started on a plot of land on Kunigal road donated by Mr. Sakariakutty which was inaugurated by H.G. Dr. Yakoob Mar Irenaios Diocesan Metropolitan on 25th Feb 2000

To solve the residential problems faced by the students coming from Kerala and to increase the income of the church, members decided to construct a hostel. Hence the adjacent site was purchased and a hostel with 6 rooms was constructed and dedicated by H.G. Dr. Yakoob Mar Irenaios Diocesan  Metropolitan on 26th June  2000                                       Till  Feb 2005   Very Rev   Abraham Marett Cor Episcopa was the vicar.

In his period Rev Sabu Kuriakose (then Bishop H.G. Dr. Zacharias Mar Aprem Metropolitan), Rev V M Abraham (then Bishop H.G. Dr. Abraham Mar Seraphim Metropolitan- present Diocesan Metropolitan), Rev Fr Shaji M John, Rev Fr Ashby Alexander, and Rev Fr Jinesh Varkey served as Asst. Vicar.

On 10th March 2005, Rev Fr Roy M Philip was appointed as the Vicar.He served until Dec 2008.  Followed by him were Rev Fr K M Jacob, Rev Fr Mani, and Rev Fr Joshua Abraham.

In 2013 Rev Fr K M Jacob was again appointed as Vicar and Rev Fr Jinu Chacko and Rev Fr Bijoy served as Asst. Vicar.

In 2015 Rev. Fr. Bijoy Sakhariah was appointed as vicar and from February 2017 Rev Fr Nithin V Rajan is the vicar under whose able leadership a new shrine in the name of St. Mary, St. George, St. Thomas and St Gregorios was consecrated and dedicated by Diocesan Metropolitan H G Dr. Abraham Mar Seraphim on 28th Aug 2017

Seeking the intercession of St. Gregorios of Parumala, our church grew every year. With a mind full of thanks, we bow our head to our great intercessor St Gregorios of Parumala and pray to our everlasting living Lord to continue to empower us with the Holy Spirit.

Read More
Vicar

Rev. Fr. Aby K Raju

St. Gregorios Orthodox Syrian Church,Devaraj Urs Road, Opp SSIT, Tumkur- 572105
9448515118
abyraju@gmail.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Mr. Varkey Chacko

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. Jiji T

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. Raju Varghese
  2. Thomas David
  3. Vinoy Varghese
  4. Sunil Simon
  5. Sony Mathew
  6. Thomas K. T.

Mar Gregorios Orthodox Church, Hebbal

Kempapura, Hebbal, Bangalore-560024
080 23435266

Vicar

Rev. Fr. Santosh Samuel K

Pampa Extn.5th Cross, 4th Main Hebbal, Bengaluru - 560 024.
080 2343 5266
9663557338
santhoshachen76@gmail.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Mr. Koshy Tharakan

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. George Koshy K.

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. Thomas C. John
  2. Dennymon Mathew
  3. Annie Koshy
  4. Mathew Wilson P.
  5. Eldo T. Iype
  6. Aju I Kuthoor
  7. Minu George (Binu)
  8. Charlie Oommen
  9. Babu M. T.

St. Mary’s Orthodox Valiapally, Jalahalli

Gangamma Circle, Jalahalli PO Bangalore-560013
080 28384876, 28386109
View in Google Map

Vicar

Rev. Fr. James Kuttykanda

Gangamma Circle, Jalahalli, Jalahalli P.O., Bengaluru - 560 013.
080 2838 4876, 2838 6109
94487 75901
frjameskuttykandam@yahoo.co.in

Asst. Vicar

Rev. Fr. Bino Samuel

Gangamma Circle, Jalahalli, Jalahalli P.O., Bengaluru - 560 013.
080 2838 4876, 2838 6109
9492146728
frbinosamuel@gmail.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Mr. V. Mathew

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. Moncy T. Thomas

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. Kunjumon D
  2. C.G. Mathew
  3. Rajan Varghese
  4. Samuel Jacob
  5. Easo Varghese
  6. Jacob M. Vaidhyan
  7. Binu Joseph
  8. Sibin G. Simon
  9. Viji Sam
  10. Chacko P. Jacob
  11. Elsy Mathew
  12. Robin Cherian
  13. C. A Eapen

St. Joseph Orthodox Syrian Church, Kalkere.

KSR Main Road, Kanakagiri, Kalkere, Hormavu Post, Bangalore-560113.

Vicar

Rev. Fr. Binoy C. Joshua

KSR Main Road, Kanakagiri, Kalkere, Hormavu Post, Bangalore-560113.
9686258869
binoyjoshua@gmail.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Mr. T. Thomas

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. Samuel K. Varghese

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. Abraham Koshy
  2. Rajesh Jacob
  3. Mathew Thomas (James)
  4. Siju Ninan
  5. Raju George
  6. V.J. Elias
  7. C.K. Thomas
  8. Renchi Samuel
  9. Koshy Thomas C
 

St.George Orthodox Church, Indiranagar

No.75, 15th Cross,Eashwara Layout, Indiranagar 2nd Stage,Behind Gopalan Appts., Bangalore-560038
080 25204470, 25297387

Vicar

Very Rev. P.C. Philip Cor-Episcopa

No. 75, 6th Main, 15th Cross, Eashwara Layout, Indiranagar 2nd Stage,Behind Gopalan Appts., Bengaluru - 560 038.
080-2520 4474
9845363812/8088140145
filippcheaven@hotmail.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Rtd Col. O.P. Varghese

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mrs. Manju Thomas

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. K.K. George
  2. Alex Joseph
  3. Liju John
  4. Sajan Thomas
  5. George Cherian
  6. K.K. Varghese
  7. George Joseph
  8. Babu Zachariah
  9. Varghese Mathew
 

Mar Yuhanon Mamdana Orthodox Church, K. R. Puram

B.Narayanapura, Dooravani Nagar Post, Krishna Rajapuram, Bangalore-560016
080 28532834

Vicar

Very Rev. T.K. Thomas Cor-Episcopa

Church Road, Akash Nagar, B-Narayanapura, Doorvani Nagar P O K R Puram, Bangalore-560016
080 28532834
+91 9902222994, +91 9448933304
thalakalthomas@yahoo.co.in

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Mr. John Thomas

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. Johnson Philip

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. Joy Paul
  2. Roy Varghese
  3. Jacob Cherian
  4. K.M. Abraham
  5. Saji Joseph
  6. Regi Jacob
  7. P.C. Johny
  8. J. Thomas
  9. Nobi Varghese
  10. Saju Samuel
  11. Paul Varghese
  12. Cicy Zachariah
  13. Gracy Thankachan
 

St.Baselios Orthodox Church, Marthahalli

Anand Nagar, Marthahalli, Bangalore-560037
080 25234592

By the abundant mercy of Our Lord Jesus Christ, The Orthodox Syrian Christians residing within the geographical areas of Marthahalli , HAL and Whitefield, in Bangalore constituted a building committee in 1966 for constructing a church under the presidentship of Rev. Fr A. V . Varghese. The committee comprised of Mr. P. J Kurian as...

By the abundant mercy of Our Lord Jesus Christ, The Orthodox Syrian Christians residing within the geographical areas of Marthahalli , HAL and Whitefield, in Bangalore constituted a building committee in 1966 for constructing a church under the presidentship of Rev. Fr A. V . Varghese. The committee comprised of Mr. P. J Kurian as the treasurer and Mr. N.T. Mathen as its secretary. By virtue of their consistent effort they succeeded in identifying half acre land at Marthahalli for constructing a Church

On 26th October ,1992 soon after the government’s decision to build a ring- road was announced, a Church Development Committee was formed under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Joseph Thaliyaparambil, Vicar, St . Gregorios Orthodox Cathedral , Hosur Road , Bangalore ,with Mr. A.V Thomas (convener) Mr. M.D John (secretary) and Mr. Babu M Iducula (Treasurer) .On the 22nd of November 1992 the Diocesan Metropolitan H.G Zachariah Mar Dionysius laid the Foundation stone for this church in the presence of Very Rev. Abraham Marett Cor-Episcopa Vicar of St. Gregorios Orthodox Cathedral, Hosur Road , Bangalore. The first Holy Qurbana was celebrated by Very Rev . Abraham Marett Cor -Episcopa on 21st November 1993 at St. Antony’s Catholic Chapel at Marthahalli, thanks to the Arch Bishop, Alphonsus Mathias, of the Bangalore Catholic Diocese for His magnanimity. As a final culmination of the efforts of the founding members the newly constructed Church was Blessed in the name of “ ST. BASELIOS” on the 14th of May 1994 by H.H Baselios Marthoma Mathews II, Catholicos of the East and Malankara Metropolitan, assisted by H. G Zachariah Mar Dionysius Metropolitan of Madras Diocese . On the 1st of May 1995 Rev.Fr Slomo Issac was appointed as the first vicar of the newly blessed church. His services continued till 30th April 1998.

The church, over the years, grew by leaps and bounds. By the middle of year 2000, the number of Sunday worshipers had increased so much that the Church could no longer accommodate the crowd. In this situation the General body took the decision to extend the west end of the church and build a balcony to create additional space. Renovation work was started under the able leadership of Rev. Fr. John Thomas and the renovated church was consecrated by the Diocesan metropolitan H.G Dr. Yakob Mar Irenaios on 30th of July 2006.

In the meantime Marathahalli and its surroundings – Whitefield, Sarjapur Road, Old Madras Road etc., part of the main IT corridor in Bangalore, developed exponentially. This, in turn, saw a major increase in the membership and the number of worshipers attending Holy Qurbana on Sunday. Realising the growth potential and the growing increase in the number of Orthodox families’ settling down in this part of Bangalore, HG Dr. Abraham Mar Seraphim, Metropolitan of Bangalore Diocese, suggested exploring opportunities to open Churches/Chapels at Whitefield and Sarjapur.

Responding to HG’s suggestion, the then Vicar, Rev. Fr. Santhosh Samuel, in 2014, identified a Chapel, on Sarjapur Road, belonging to the Camillian Society, for celebrating Holy Qurbana on Sundays. The Chapel was named ‘Holy Trinity Chapel.

The Managing Committee of the Church also decided to construct a building housing the Vicars residence, and two convention halls. A Building Committee with Mr. Mammen Varghese, as the Convenor was constituted for this purpose. The Committee was also entrusted with the responsibility of identifying land for building a church around Sarjapur Area.

The Committee identified and purchased a land measuring 12000 Sq. feet close to Sarjapur Road. The Land has been registered and Katha is awaited.

In the meantime, under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Moncy P Chacko, vicar of SBOC, the managing committee decided to –

  1. Start preliminary work related to the construction of a church and raising funds for the same. The target date for laying the foundation stone was fixed for January 2018. A Committee under was formed for this purpose, under the Marathahalli Church.

  2. Start preliminary work for renovation of SBOC to accommodate more members. The target date for laying the foundation stone was also fixed for January 2018. A committee under Rev. Fr. Moncy P Chacko with Mr. P M John as Convenor was formed for this purpose.

As approved by the General Body of Marathahalli Church, a Chapel was identified by the Vicar, Rev. Fr. Moncy P Chacko and Mr. Zachariah Avira, Managing Committee Member, and the first Holy Qurbana was celebrated in July 2017. Quite a few members and many believers in that area have been attending Holy Qurbana, celebrated on the 1st and 3rd Sunday, every month. The chapel has been established in the name of St. Peter and St. Paul.

Read More
Vicar

Rev. Fr. Moncy P. Chacko

Anand Nagar, Marthahalli,Bengaluru - 560 037.
080254 01992
09742733682
frmoncypc@gmail.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Col K.Y. George

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. K.S. Saji

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
 
  1. Mr. Zachariah Avira
  2. Mr. Sobi G. Wilson
  3. Mr. Jobin Mathew
  4. Mr. Renji George
  5. Mr. Wilson G.
  6. Mr. Jiji Varghese
  7. Mr. T.M. George
  8. Mr. Mathew Jacob
  9. Mr. Baby Abraham
  10. Mr. K.C. Chacko
  11. Mr. Nimesh Easo

St. Stephens Orthodox Church, Vijayanagar

#2,Chandra Layout, Canara Bank Main Road, Vijayanagar, Bangalore-560040
080 65341708

Vicar

Very Rev. John Thachemperil Cor Episcopa

No.2/4, Chandra Layout, Canara Bank Main Road, Vijayanagar, Bengaluru - 560 040.
080 6534 1708
94949 45580, 94493 05580
frthachamperil@gmail.com; frjthachamperil@yahoo.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Mr. M. K. Kuriakose

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. Jayson Mathew

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. Thomas T. J.
  2. Moncy K.
  3. Moncy Tharakan
  4. P.C. George
  5. Babu Varghese
  6. David K.J.
  7. M.M. Koshy
  8. Pinchu Mathew
  9. Vinod Samuel
  10. Alex Mathew
  11. Elizabeth Samuel

St. Gregorios Orthodox Church, Mathikere.

No.264, 10th Main, 3rd Cross, Mathikere Extn, Bangalore-560054
080 23608307

St. Gregorios Orthodox Syrian Church, Mathikere, is a parish under the Bangalore Diocese of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. The Parish serves the Malankara orthodox community in Mathikere, Yeshwantpur, Sanjay Nagar, BEL Road, Malleswaram and Outer ring road areas. The Present Church complex was consecrated on 27th May 2017 houses Parking area, Parish Hall and the Church...

St. Gregorios Orthodox Syrian Church, Mathikere, is a parish under the Bangalore Diocese of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. The Parish serves the Malankara orthodox community in Mathikere, Yeshwantpur, Sanjay Nagar, BEL Road, Malleswaram and Outer ring road areas.

The Present Church complex was consecrated on 27th May 2017 houses Parking area, Parish Hall and the Church on top floor. The present Church is built beautifully in Orthodox style with a central dome and the Church hall and the altar adorned with sacred icons. The present Church complex was rebuilt under the leadership of present vicar Rev. Fr. Varghese P. idichandy and active participation and abundant contributions by the Parishioners and well-wishers.

Spiritual organizations like Sunday school, Vanitha Samajam, Youth Movement, church Choir and Senior citizens forum functions very well. There are area wise weekly prayer meetings on Sunday afternoons.

Formation of the Parish

The General Body of St. Mary’s Orthodox Church, Jalahally, presided over by H.G. Dr. Yakob Mar Irenaios, Metropolitan of Madras Diocese, on 17th December 2000 took a favorable decision about the formation of a parish at Mathikere. Accordingly, the Metropolitan declared that from 1st January 2001 the Mathikere Chapel would be known as St. Gregorios Orthodox Church, Mathikere and would have the status of an independent parish under the Diocese of Madras of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church.

The meeting of the members residing in and around Mathikere and Yeshwanthpur was convened on the same day. The meeting presided over by the Diocesan metropolitan drew up a blueprint for future activities of the parish. Diocesan Metropolitan H.G. Dr. Yakob Mar Irenaios celebrated the Holy Qurbana in the Chapel on 19th December 2000. Rev. Fr. Saji Thomas celebrated the Holy Qurbana on 1st January 2001, and as per Kalpana No. 110/2000 and No. 113/2000, took over as the first vicar of St. Gregorios Orthodox Church, Mathikere.

Our Vicars

January 2001 to May 2007 Rev. Fr. Saji Thomas

June 2007 to May 2010      Very. Rev. Abraham Maret Cor-Episcopa

June 2010 to May 2013     Rev. Fr. K.M. Jacob

June 2013 to date Rev. Fr. Varghese P. Idichandy

Worship Timings

Everyday 6:15 pm Evening Prayer

Saturday 5.00 pm Vanitha Samajam Meeting

6.15 pm Evening Prayer

Sunday 7.15 pm Morning prayer

8.15 pm Holy Eucharist

11:00 am Sunday School

Feasts on 6.00 am Morning Prayer

Weekdays 6.30 am Holy Eucharist

Read More
Vicar

Rev. Fr. Varghese P. Idichandy

No. 264, 10th Main, 3rd Cross, Mathikere Extn, Bengaluru - 560 054.
080 2360 8307
99165 92275, 094465 29678
vpidichandy@yahoo.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Mr. Mathew K. Samuel

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. P.C. Mathai

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. K. G. Ponnachen
  2. P.J. Mathew
  3. V. G. Mathai
  4. C. Yohannan
  5. Roy Eapen
  6. Shibu Koshy Abraham
  7. P. Joy
  8. C.B. Babu
  9. A.M. Chacko
  10. Boby Varghese
  11. Lukose Koduvilla
  12. Varghese K. E.

St. Dionysius Orthodox Church, Dasarahalli

3rd Main Road, HMT Layout Ext, KRS Gowda Street, Nagasandra P.O, Dasarahalli, Bangalore-560073
080 22724799

Vicar

Rev. Fr. Skariah

3rd Main Road, HMT Layout Extn, KRS Gowda Street, Nagasandra P.O., Bengaluru - 560 073.
080 2272 4799
94480 40442
frskariah@gmail.com.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Mr. Job Issac

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. Joji John

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. Creasus K. George
  2. Eliyas T.V.
  3. Joy K. Jose
  4. Johnson Koshy
  5. Santhosh T. John
  6. Shajimon K.
  7. Biju Mathew
  8. Kuruvilla Kurian
  9. Jacob P. C.

St Mary’s Orthodox Church, Begur

South Bingipura, Begur- Koppa Road, Bangalore-560083.
080-26780981

Vicar

Rev. Fr. Joe Mathew

S. Bingipura, Begur Koppa Road, Near Christ academy, Bangalore 560105
9448971754
joeachen@yahoo.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Mr. P. K. Joseph

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. Shibu Mathew

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. Thomas Tharakan
  2. Samuel P. Varghese
  3. Roy John
  4. T.T. Varghese
  5. Mobin Mathew
  6. Biju T. Sam
  7. K.G. Babu
  8. Shibu T. Daniel
  9. Shobi Mathew
  10. Biju Pappachen
  11. Binoy Mathunni
  12. Shibu Kurien
  13. Saju Varghese

St. Gregorios Orthodox Syrian Church, Mysore

Government House Road, Nazarbad Mysore-570010.
0821-2443705

HISTORY OF ST. GREGORIOS ORTHODOX SYRIAN CHURCH, MYSORE While we discuss about the history of St. Gregorios Orthodox Syrian Church in Mysore, we have to necessarily discuss about the Malankarites, who migrated to the city of Mysore early on.             Mysore was the Capital city of the erstwhile Princely state of Mysore.  After independence, the...

HISTORY OF ST. GREGORIOS ORTHODOX SYRIAN CHURCH, MYSORE

While we discuss about the history of St. Gregorios Orthodox Syrian Church in Mysore, we have to necessarily discuss about the Malankarites, who migrated to the city of Mysore early on.

            Mysore was the Capital city of the erstwhile Princely state of Mysore.  After independence, the importance of Mysore was on the wane and Bangalore started growing as a leading industrial city.   Naturally, the exodus of people to Mysore in search of livelihood from the neighbouring states especially Kerala was slow paced.  In the early fifties Keralites’ preferred destinations were Madras and Bangalore.  Mysore was the least sought after place for them.  The few people, who opted for the city, were employed by Railways, CFTRI, DFRL, Parry & Co., Wesley Press, KR Hospital, Mission Hospital and some of the Plantations of nearby areas. Educational Institutions like Mysore University, St. Philomina’s College and National Institute of Engineering also attracted some of the Malayalees.  The Chamundi Curing Works factory at Mysore was purchased by the Manamel family during early fifties.  This necessitated two of their family members, viz. Mr. M.C. Cherian and Mr. M.C. Thampy shifting their residence to Mysore.  Later-on Mr. M.C. Mathews also shifted his residence from Calicut to Mysore.  This factory also employed some of the Malankarites alongwith the local people.  Apart from this, a few Malankarites  established their business enterprises in Mysore.  Prominent amongst them were Mysore Tyres of Mr. V.J. Abraham, Rubber Re-treading Factory of Mr. Mammen Abraham  (Mamachen) and Kings Coffee Works of Mr. N. I. Mathai.

            By the year 1953, the local residents of Syrian Christians started relentlessly exploring the possibilities of forming a congregation for conducting Holy Qurbana on Sundays.  As a result, on 21st February, 1954 Rev. Fr. Thykadavil Geevarghese came to Mysore and conducted a Holy Qurbana at the St. Berthalomeos Church, Mysore.  Quite a good gathering of believers attended the mass and the same was an encouraging sign for regular services.  It was then decided by the Syrian Christians, who attended the mass that a congregation should be formed for arranging regular services.  Accordingly the Syrian Christians of Mysore City belonging to Orthodox, Marthomite, and CSI convened a joint meeting on the 24th February, 1954 in the house of Mr. O.M. Mathews, who was the Secretary of the Maharaja of Mysore.  In the meeting they discussed about the ways and means of conducting Malayalam services (Holy Qurbana) for the benefit of Syrian Christians of different denominations, who were resident in and around the city of Mysore.   Ms M.C. Cherian, Thomas M. Varghese, P.T. Thomas, V.J. Abraham, C. Thomas Mathew, and O.M. Mathews attended the meeting and to begin with they decided to form a Congregation called ‘United Syrian Church, Mysore City’.

            Subsequently Ms M.C. Thampy,  M.C. Markose,  Mathew Varki,  Mammen Abraham,  K.U. Chummar,  Saramma Varghese,  C.C. John,  Abraham Lukose,  Thankamma Thomas, C.G. Easo,  Korula,  Sam George,  John Thomas,  K.V. Paulose,  P.T. Daniel, C.O. Mammen, V.A. Abraham, Dr. P.P. Kurian and some others joined the congregation.     After about six months of joint activities, on 15th August, 1954, the Orthodox group and the Marthomite group separated themselves and the CSI members were given the option of joining either one of the group according to their individual choice.  The Orthodox group formed a new congregation called ‘The Jacobite Syrian Christian Congregation, Mysore City’.  However, many of the activities were continued to be jointly arranged and for the first time the Christmas Carol was jointly conducted during the month of December, 1954.  Subsequent to the separation, the Orthodox congregation started conducting monthly Holy Qurbana at the Wesley Church, Mysore.  Initially Rev. Fr. Thykadavil Geevarghese, Rev. Fr. P.V. Kuriakose, Rev. Fr. V. Thomas, Rev. Fr. Yohannan, Rev. Fr. Thomas Moothadam, Rev. Fr. J. Paulose, Rev. Fr. Daniel Thottamattom, Rev. Fr. T.P. Peter, Rev. Fr. Simon Mathew, Rev. Fr. Ninan, Rev. Fr. P.I. Thomas, and Rev. Fr. Olikkal Mathews had conducted the monthly services on a regular basis.  During this period the Orthodox Metropolitans viz. H.G. Mar Severios (on 03.05.1954) and H.G. Mar Theodosius (on 06.03.1955) had visited Mysore and celebrated Holy Qurbana at the Wesley Church.

            During the year 1963, Rev. Fr. P.V. Kuriakose, Pullakudiyil, Keezhillam was appointed as the Assistant Vicar at St. Mary’s Church, Jalahally, Bangalore.  He was also given the responsibility to conduct Holy Qurbana at Mysore on alternate Sundays every month by the Diocesan Metropolitan for Outside Kerala.   Rev. Fr. K.P. Thomas, Rev. Fr. K.O. Jacob, Rev. Fr. A.V. Varghese, Rev. Fr. Alex Kurambil, and Rev. Fr. K.P. Mathew had also conducted Holy Qurbana at the Wesley Church during this period.

            By the year 1964, the Orthodox congregation felt the dire need of having their own place to establish a Church.  Thus in the General Body Meeting held at the office of Mysore Tyres,  a Church Building Committee was formed for the first time under the Chairmanship of Mr. M.C. Cherian.  By this time, Ms T. M. Punnose,  K.T. Joseph, P.V. Kurian, P.K. Mathews, Jacob Thomas, Dr. Eapen Thomas, Thomas Barsoma, K.T. Jacob, K.T. Cherian, C.K. Paul, T.C. Paulose, Koshy George, K.C. Thomas, C.C. Pothen, Paul George, Mr. K.O. Kuriakose and many others also joined the congregation and started actively participating in all its programmes alongwith the existing members. By this time the Orthodox Congregation had a membership strength of about 35 permanent families and about 60 members as temporary including the students community.  The Diocesan Metropolitans, H.G. Mar Osthatheos and H.G. Mar Dionysius had visited the Mysore Congregation during this period.

            During the year 1964, the Diocesan Metropolitan for outside Kerala elevated the Mysore Syrian Christian Congregation to a Parish vide Kalpana No. 39964.  Subsequently  vide Kalpana No. 40064, Rev. Fr. G. John was appointed as its permanent Vicar.  Since he was also in-charge of the Orthodox Syrian Church at Siddapur, South Coorg, Holy Qurbana was being conducted on alternate Sundays only at the Wesley Church, Mysore.  The Prayer Meetings were also conducted regularly at the Mission Hospital Chapel from the year 1964.  The Sunday school too was started on a low key basis during the period.

            On 15th June, 1964, H.H. Moran Mar Ignatius Yakoub III, the Patriarch of Antioch (the Antiochene Patriarch, who had been recognized by the Malankara Church in the reconciliation and mutual acceptance Accord of 1958), visited the Mysore Parish and a grand reception was accorded to him at the Wesley Church.  He was accompanied by five Metropolitans including H.G. Mathews Mar Athanasius, the Outside Kerala Diocesan Metropolitan of the Orthodox Church (Later H.H. Moran Mar Baselios Marthoma Mathews-I, Catholicos of the East and Malankara Metropolitan).  On behalf of the Mysore City Administration, the President of the Municipality garlanded the dignitaries and welcomed them to the city of Mysore.  The Vicar of the Mysore Parish, Rev. Fr. G. John, the Official Reception Committee Chairman, Mr. M.C. Cherian and the members of the Managing Committee of the Parish had made elaborate arrangements for the reception of the Patriarch and other Metropolitans at Mysore.  Representing the other Churches, the Catholic Bishop of Mysore, the CSI Bishop and the members of the Marthoma Church and their Vicar and a large number of people had attended the reception meeting held at the Wesley Church Guild Hall.

            During the year 1965, the Diocesan Metropolitan directed to change the name of the Church as ‘Orthodox Syrian Church’ in place of ‘Jacobite Syrian Church’ as the same was a misnomer and accordingly all the relevant records and Bank accounts were duly corrected.  On the 30th April, 1965, H.G. Mathews Mar Athanasius, the Diocesan Metropolitan for Outside Kerala, paid his official visit to the Mysore Parish.  The reception committee and the members of the Church had accorded a warm welcome to His Grace at the Wesley Church Guild Hall.

            In the year 1967, Rev. Fr. Dr. P.C. Eapen joined the Regional Institute of Education, Mysore and became a permanent resident of Mysore.  His presence in Mysore made the Orthodox Syrian Christians jubilant as they could avail his masterly guidance and scholarly advises on a regular basis.  Apart from this, they were able to conduct Holy Qurbana on all the Sundays as Rev. Fr. Dr. PC Eapen conducted mass at the Church at Karunapuram, Mysore on first and third Sundays of every month regularly.

            On the 25th of February, 1968, the members of St. Mary’s Church, Jalahally, Bangalore led by their Vicar, Rev. Fr. Lasser visited the Mysore Parish for a Joint Fellowship Meeting and Holy Qurbana.  A Holy ‘Muninmel Qurbana’ was celebrated for the first time at the Wesley Church, Mysore on the occasion.  On the 30th August, 1969, H.G. Yuhanon Mar Severios, the Metropolitan of Cochin Diocese visited the Mysore Parish and on his honour a combined Christian Fellowship Meeting was arranged with the Catholic Bishop of Mysore, H.G. Fernandes having attended the Meeting as Guest of Honour and a number of Dignitaries from different Denominations also attended the function held at the Wesley Church Guild Hall.

            In the year 1969, a new Church Building Committee was formed with Mr. M.C. Cherian as its Vice President, Rev. Fr. Dr. PC Eapen as Convenor, Mr. T.V. Mathew as Joint Convenor, Mr. P.K. Mathew as Treasurer, Mr. V.J. Abraham, Mr. C.G. Easo, Mr. C.K. Paul, Mrs. M.C. Cherian, and Miss Saramma Varghese as its members.  This committee started working with added vigour in order to build its own Church in Mysore.  Mr. M.C. Cherian offered about 1.75 acres of land nearby Ms Chamundi Curing Works, KRS Road, Mysore, but since the same was agricultural land, the conversion of the property for changed land use was time consuming, expensive and cumbersome process. It was, therefore, decided to buy an appropriate property within the city limit for the construction of the Church building.

            On the 7th November, 1971, the Parish Day was celebrated for the first time at the Wesley Church, under the able guidance of the Vicar, Rev. Fr. Joseph Mankidy, Rev. Fr. Dr. PC Eapen and the Celebration Committee Chairman, Mr. V.J. Abraham.  In the Parish Day celebration a raffle was conducted as part of the fund raising activity.  The customary auction sale was also arranged and all the members of the Parish enthusiastically attended all the programmes on the occasion.  It was also unanimously decided to celebrate the Parish Day on the first Sunday of November every year in memory of the Saint of Malankara, the St. Gregorios of Parumala.

            During the year 1974, a property at Government Guest House Road, Nazarbad, Mysore belonging to the Ceylon and Indian General Mission was identified and an area of about 5,000 square feet was purchased from them on 18th April, 1974 in favour of His Holiness the Catholicos of the East and Malankara Metropolitan represented by Rev. Fr. Dr. P.C. Eapen.  Subsequently on 27th May, 1975 about 1465 square feet area of property adjacent to the above property was also purchased from the Church of South India Trust Association in favour of the Catholicos of the East and Malankara Metropolitan, represented by Rev. Fr. Dr. P.C. Eapen.

            The Church Building Committee under the Vice Presidentship of Mr. M.C. Cherian was further reorganized with Mr. V.J. Abraham as Convenor, Mr. M.C. Mathews as Convenor for Church Parsonage, Mr. Raju Alex as Construction Supervising Engineer, Mr. C. C. Pothen as Work Supervisor,  Mr. J.C. Mathews as General Organiser and Mr. K.C. Eapen as Auditor.  The Foundation Stone for the Church was laid on the 8th September, 1974 by H.G. Thomas Mar Thimotheos, the Metropolitan of Malabar Diocese (Later Catholicos of the East and Malankara Metropolitan, His Holiness Moran Mar Baselios Marthoma Didymus-I).  The actual Church construction work was started on the 23rd June, 1975.  The progress of the construction work was on a faster pace with Mr. M.C. Thampy having donated the entire requirements of the Bricks, Mr. M.C. Cherian, having donated the entire Truss work of the Church Building, Mr. M. C. Mathews having donated the entire requirements of wood and wood work and all the other members of the Parish having donated their mite for the speedy completion of the Church building.  The first Holy Qurbana was celebrated in the new Church, which is dedicated in the Holy and blessed name of St. Gregorios of Parumala on the 4th April, 1976.

            On the 14th of October, 1977, the Southern Regional Conference of Mar Gregorios Orthodox Christian Students Movement of India was held at Mysore, which was hosted by the Mysore Parish.  The three day programme was arranged under the able guidance of Mr.M.C. Mathews, the General Convenor, Dr. Thomas Eapen, Joint Convenor, Rev. Fr. K.J. George (Kannoth), the Vicar and Rev. Fr. Dr. P.C. Eapen, Advisor.  On the occasion H.G. Philipose Mar Theophilose and H.G. Geevarghese Mar Osthatheos were accorded a splendid and impressive reception at Mysore.  About 400 delegates from all over the world attended the conference, which was a grand success.

            The new Church was consecrated and dedicated by H.G. Zachariah Mar Dionysius, the Metropolitan of Madras Diocese of Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church on the 31st March, 1979 and 1st April, 1979 assisted by Rev. Fr. Dr. P.C. Eapen and Rev. Fr. K.J. George, the Vicar.  A ‘Holy Muninmel Qurbana’ was celebrated on the occasion with H.G. Mar Dionysius being the Chief Celebrant and Rev. Fr. Dr. P.C. Eapen and Rev. Fr. K.J. George being the co-celebrants.

            The members of the Church were facing lot of problems due to the absence of a suitable place for a cemetery for the Church.  The relentless struggle for getting a suitable place for the same was finally materialised with the efforts of Rev. Fr. Dr. P.C. Eapen and Mr. T. John, the former Minister,  Government of Karnataka.  Mr. J. Alexander the former Minister, who was then the Chief Secretary of Government of Karnataka also helped the Parish to get one acre plot allotted for the cemetery at Survey No. 1031, CR No. 1276, LCR No. 71786 situated at Uthanahally, Devasthana Road, Mysore by the Government of Karnataka.

Read More
Vicar

Rev. Fr. Saji Daniel

Government House Road, Nazarbad, Mysore - 570 010.
89515 85975
sajidaniel19@gmail.com

List of Managing Committee Members for the year 2017-18.
Mr. Saju Jacob

Kaisthanee (Treasurer )

Mr. Prasad Chacko

Secretary

Managing Committee Members:
  1. C. P. Baby
  2. Sabu Abraham
  3. Shibu Jacob
  4. Babu George
  5. T. T. Koshy
  6. M.C. George
  7. Biji Baby
  8. Rajan Mathai